The Boston Retirement System serves over 34,000 members and beneficiaries. The Finance Unit performs many important duties such as, maintains the accuracy of the Board’s fiscal records, management of the Board budget, record keeping of the investment portfolio, process 1099R’s, reconcile revenue/expense, manage contracts. Additionally, the Finance Unit is responsible for Procurement and serving our membership base through an Indemnification Process for medical reimbursements for disabled retirees.
Under the supervision of the Comptroller, the Principle Accountant, as a member of the finance unit, will be responsible for the following:
• Review medical bills submitted for reimbursement from retiree or provider.
• Prepare claim for medical bills received and send to medical vendor for approval.
• Submit medical claims to Law Department for approval upon receipt of medical approval.
• Upon approval of medical claim forward to vendor for payment and prepare Explanation of Benefits.
• Create excel spreadsheet through Medipayor Software and submit to Accounts Payable in auditing.
• Respond to and initiate calls to third party medical providers to provide authorization for medications and services related to a member’s disability.
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned by senior management.
• Perform related work as required.
• Applicant must possess at least four (4) years of full time or equivalent part time, professional experience in work which involves considerable knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
• Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Access is compulsory.
• Professionalism and aptitude to converse and effectively work with staff as well as, awareness of proper customer relation’s skills is required.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented, multi-cultural setting on a variety of tasks and report results to management.
• Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail.
• Communicate with members, auditors, vendors and other City Departments.
Successful completion of a four (4) year degree program with a BS/BA in Accounting, Finance, Economics or Business Administration is required and may be substituted for two (2) years of required experience. An Associate Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or Business Administration plus four (4) years of accounting experience may be substituted for a BS.
Boston Residency Required
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: SEIU/RL 16
Hours per week: 35