- At least three (3) years of fulltime, or equivalent part-time, experience in the fire protection installation or design fields, or building construction, installation or design fields as it relates to fire protection, fire prevention and life safety. At least one (1) year of supervisory experience in construction or building preferred.
- An Associate's degree in a field related to fire protection and construction may be substituted for one year of the required experience. A BS in fire protection engineering, architecture or related field preferred and may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience. Experience in plans review and life safety inspections preferred.
- Familiarity with the Hansen and ProjectDox Software systems is preferred as well as with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with CAD software is preferred.
- Knowledge of various types of fire protection engineering principles and systems, building construction and materials technology, and their relationship to a building's life-cycle stages, including a working knowledge of building practices in the alteration and construction fields and the principles of building construction so as to review the supporting documentation submitted for the fire and life safety of a building or structure under the oversight of engineering staff.
- Knowledge of the Boston Fire Prevention Code.
- Knowledge of the State Fire Prevention and Building Codes, and/or as amended, with respect to local requirements; and of the state, federal and local standards and restrictions applicable to building and fire protection plans, applications and preparation.
- Knowledge of licensing authorities and their oversight regarding fire protection system designers and installers.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
- Ability to respond to inquiries from the public, departments and agencies and provide quality customer service.
- Ability to read and interpret building and fire protection system plans, drawings and specifications; to review applications for fire protection system permits to ensure they comply with applicable laws, ordinances, regulations and standards preferred.
- A multi-lingual candidate preferred.
Certification as a Massachusetts Fire Prevention Office Level I must be obtained within eighteen (18) months from hire date and must be maintained through the length of employment. Failure to meet this requirement will result in termination.
Boston Residency Required
Pre-Employment Drug Test Required
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: AFSCME/RA-18A
Hours per week: 35