Applicants meeting the minimum entrance qualifications will be considered for this position.
- Must have at least five (5) years of experience in the construction of building construction or design or the alternative of a two (2) year Associates degree in a field related to construction.
- At least four (4) years of management experience in construction or building inspection is required.
- A BS in engineering or architecture or related field is preferred and may be substituted for two (2) years of the experience.
- Experience in plans review and familiarity and experience with the Boston zoning ordinance is preferred.
- Familiarity with the Hansen software system preferred. Experience in structural inspections preferred.
- A thorough knowledge of the various types of building construction and of building materials and the methods of incorporating such materials in building construction.
- A working knowledge of building practices in the alteration and construction fields, and of the principles of building construction so as to determine the structural safety of a building or structure.
- Knowledge of sheet metal requirements; of the state building code and/or as amended with respect to building and structures; of the Boston zoning ordinances; and of the state, federal, and local standards and restrictions applicable to building plans and applications.
- Must be able to read and interpret building plans, drawings and specifications; and to review building applications in order to ensure they comply with applicable laws, ordinances and regulations.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word for Windows and Excel is preferred.
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Chinese and Vietnamese).
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
Certification as a Massachusetts Building Official is required within twelve (12) months of hire per 780CMR. Extensions may be petitioned by the hiree to the Building Official Certification Committee (BOCC). Failure to meet the requirement will result in termination.
A valid Massachusetts Driver's license preferred.
CORI check required.
Boston Residency Required.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: AFSCME/RA-20A
Hours per week: 35