Brief Job Description:
The Boston Retirement System ("System") seeks to provide accurate, timely and consistent guidance and benefits to its members. The Assistant General Counsel provides legal advice and services to the Board of Trustees and staff regarding benefits, litigation, and investments.
1) Directly report to General Counsel, Executive Officer and Board Trustees.
2) Ensure legal compliance of the Board's benefits program. Provide legal advice and assistance as necessary.
3) Ensure legal compliance of the Board's investments program. Provide legal advice and assistance as necessary.
4) Attend disability review officer hearings as necessary.
5) Prepare disability cases for Board presentation and elaborate, when necessary, at Board meetings.
6) Participate in client outreach efforts as requested by the General Counsel or the Executive Officer.
7) Communicate with members and their representatives as necessary.
8) As directed by the General Counsel, litigate or supervise litigation by outside counsel for denied benefits claims and disputes at administrative agencies and courts.
9) Help prepare and try cases and help supervise outside counsel in the preparation and trial of cases.
10) Review, approve, and implement court orders and DOR/CSE orders in divorce and child support matters.
11) Provide responses to Freedom of Information Act requests.
12) Provide responses to subpoenas directed at the System.
13) Help prepare for and attend Board meetings when required.
14) Interpret and communicate rulings by the Public Employee Retirement Administration Commission (PERAC) and other regulatory agencies that affect the services provided by the Board to the managers and staff to help ensure compliance.
15) Ensure member compliance with Section 91A (certify earnings by submitting W-2, 1099, etc.).
16) Work on special projects at the discretion of the General Counsel and/or the Executive Officer.
17) Identify opportunities for process improvement within the department including, but not limited to, ways to limit exposure and ensure compliance.
18) Contribute to the documentation of best practices for the department.
19) Perform related duties as required.
Boston Residency Required
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: Nonunion/MM2-14
Hours per week: 35