Under direction of the Chief of Adult Library Services or delegate, responsible for planning, overseeing and executing the “Social Worker in the Library” program, which places Peer Navigators and graduate and bachelor degree candidate students from schools of social work at Boston Public Library locations. This position will also deliver direct client services to library customers, build partnerships with social service organizations and oversee system-wide social service initiatives as well as working with staff on relevant training and consultations. The position is responsible for tracking and reporting on all library social service efforts.
Chief of Adult Library Services (PM7)
Peer Navigators and student interns. As assigned, professional and support staff
Scope of Responsibility
1. Coordinates, develops, and oversees the Library’s Peer Navigator program in conjunction with external Library partners. Supervises and directs Peer Navigators across the system.
2. Coordinates and oversees partnerships with local colleges and universities with the graduate schools of Social Work. Acts as the Field Supervisor for student interns placed across the library system.
3. Provides weekly field instruction and supervision for Peer Navigators and student interns.
4. Works with partner organization Outreach Navigators, and the library’s Health & Human Service Specialist to provide for the development and implementation of program services and partnerships to meet the health and human services related educational and informational needs of library customers.
5. Works with the Health & Human Services Specialist and the Training Coordinator to develop and initiate staff development related to supporting customers with health and human service needs.
6. The Social Worker will play a key role in training and supporting library staff to effectively serve library customers with health and human services information needs. This will include:
7. Responsible for oral presentations and written reports on assigned activities within the department.
8. Participates in the development of interactive relationships with relevant organizations and institutions to better serve communities and to stimulate use of library’s resources.
9. Assists with analysis of aspects of related services, operations, and collections and recommends improvements to enhance public service.
10. Keeps current in the best practices of the profession of social work by taking advantage of training and development activities, by reading professional literature, and by participating in professional activities.
11. Actively participates in system-wide committees, training and other professional activities.
12. Performs other related and comparable duties as assigned.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: PSA / P / 3
Hours per week: 35