- Three (3) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, paid experience working in commercial or municipal tree care including climbing experience. An associates degree in architecture/engineering/landscape/site design or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience. A bachelors degree in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
- Knowledge of urban forest management practices.
- Ability to use all tools related to arboriculture such as chainsaws, handsaws, pole pruners, etc.
- Certified Arborist (Massachusetts (MA) or ISA) preferred.
- Evidence of work samples from previous grant writing preferred.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and writing skills required.
- Must have and mataint a current Massachusetts drivers license.
- Ability to climb or operate an aerial lift to prune or remove trees.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and focus on detail as required by the job.
Preferred Qualification: GIS training and experience with ArcGIS software. Experience with contractors work practices; experience planting trees and working with volunteers; ability to read and interpret landscape plans, GIS maps, etc. as needed to assist developers and to manage urban forestry projects and programs; ability to identify problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions. Proficiency in Word, Excel and other software a plus.
Must be available to work any assigned shift and any assigned area. Must be available to respond to emergencies 24 hours per day /seven (7) days per week.
City of Boston Residency required.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: AFSCME/RA-16
Hours per week: 35