This is a provisional appointment.
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
Under the direct supervision of the Principal Civil Engineer, Design Section, Engineering Division, the Assistant Civil Engineer is responsible for any assigned design engineering work required for or related to the preparation and completion of all preliminary and final engineering designs, plans, detail designs, calculations for the construction, or reconstruction of streets, sewers, water mains, and related installations in the City of Boston.
Required to work any emergency as directed by the Chief of Streets or designee.
Applicants must have at least (A) three (3) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical or professional experience in civil engineering work in such areas as construction, survey, design, transportation, structural, drafting, or highway, of which (B) at least one (1) year must have been in a professional capacity.
(1) Civil Engineering principles, practices; foundations, materials of construction, methods of construction; and terminology applicable to the design of highway, sewer, water and related public improvements; must be proficient in the use of AutoCAD.
(2) Design engineering principles, standards and practices applicable to the layout and detail design required for the construction of highways, sewers, and water, and related public improvements.
Working Knowledge of:
(1) Mathematics, mechanics, soil mechanics, and hydraulics applicable to the solution of diversified design engineering problems.
(2) General survey and construction requirements related to the design of highways, sewer, water and other public improvements, including general knowledge of construction materials.
Marked Ability to:
(1) Apply stated engineering knowledge and experience to the solution of diversified design engineering problems.
(2) Prepare clear and concise engineering reports.
A degree in Civil Engineering is strongly preferred. EIT designation is strongly desired.
Applicants must also possess the ability to exercise good judgment and to focus on detail as required by the job.
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: AFSCME/RA-18A
Hours: 35 per week