Brief Job Description (essential functions of job):
Under supervision, and within the framework of Library policies and practices, to participate in services to a diverse population characteristic of an urban setting with emphasis on service to children and to perform professional work requiring application of professional knowledge of literature, bibliographic sources and services with a concentration on children.
Supervises: As assigned, professional and non-professional staff members.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
Under supervision performs the following:
1. Assists in the development, planning and implementation of the Library’s program of service to children through personal consultations, reference and readers’ advisory services, outreach and programs.
2. Participates in the development of interactive relationships within a defined neighborhood and in the implementation of activities to stimulate community use of the Library’s resources especially through schools, and other agencies which serve children and their families.
3. Plans and conducts comprehensive programming for toddlers, preschoolers and school age children such as story hours, book talks, craft programs, puppetry, book discussion groups and summer reading programs.
4. Performs readers’ advisory services and difficult or involved reference for the general public.
5. Provides instruction to increase patrons’ skills in the use of book resources and electronic databases.
6. Manages program funds assigned to children’s services.
7. Participates in the development of the children’s book collection and manages the appropriate materials budget.
8. Assists in the compilation of annotated lists and bibliographies involving book and non-book materials.
9. Responsible for oral presentations and written reports on children’s activities within the branch library.
10. May be responsible for day-to-day operations of the branch in the absence of the Branch Librarian or other ranking staff member.
11. May participate in recommending and/or planning changes in service or new services for children.
12. Actively participates in system-wide committees, training and other professional activities.
13. Performs other related and/or comparable duties as assigned.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: PSA - P1
Hours per week: 35