This is a provisional appointment.
Brief Job Description (essential function of the job):
Under general supervision, with latitude provided for independent problem solving, performs professional traffic engineering work of moderate difficulty and importance relating to traffic engineering in the Traffic Management Center.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Monitors traffic flow and make adjustments to traffic signal timing from the traffic management center.
- Identifies malfunctioning traffic signals and makes repair calls.
- Reviews and assists with the preparation of traffic studies and analysis.
- Monitors construction activities from the traffic management center using video cameras: notifies contractors (i.e.; Boston Water and Sewer Commission, NSTAR, etc.) in violation of permit work restrictions, and of impeding traffic flow.
- Prepares traffic engineering plans using AutoCAD.
- Collects data and manages data collection programs.
- Verifies that traffic signal timing is consistent with time space diagrams.
- Performs related work as required.
The work schedule will be Monday - Friday, 11:00 am to 7:00 pm.
The work schedule may be modified from time to time and may include evening, nighttime and weekend hours.
Required to work any and all emergencies as directed by the Commissioner or designee.
Applicants must have at least two (2) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in traffic or transportation engineering. Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job. A bachelor's degree in Civil or Electrical Engineering, FE/EIT (Fundamentals of Engineering/Engineer In Training) certificate, SYNCHRO and AutoCAD experience is preferred. Must have and maintain a current Massachusetts driver's license.
A bachelor's degree or higher in Civil or Electrical Engineering may be substituted for the required experience.
Boston Residency Required.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: AFSCME/RA-16A
Hours per week: 35