This is a provisional appointment.
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
Under the general supervision and direction of the Director of Human Resources, assists in managing the HR function for the Transportation and Public Works Department to ensure effective personnel management and the development of human resource programs. Shall perform duties of Director in his/her absence.
Performs processing related to human resources responsibilities including, but are not limited to:
- Workforce management and development
- Aids in the coordination of annual projects such as performance evaluations; advises department managers and staff in all human resources issues such as employee relations, discipline, and training, counseling employees on work-related matters: assists in conflict resolution. Manages and implements City of Boston policies such as residency, attendance policy.
- May represent the department in labor relations matters, including union grievance procedures and dispute resolution.
- Performs work of considerable difficulty including position management, and preparing recommendations to improve the efficiency of HR administrative operations; performs complex technical work involving management investigations, surveys, research and analysis of procedures, policies and organizational structures. Makes studies of organizational structures, workforce management and development, methods of operation, internal policies and procedures, staffing patterns and management practices and prepares recommendations for remedial action.
- Processes Information in PeopleSoft or other systems regarding hiring/promotion/termination documentation; creates and/or updates budget amendments, creates or updates job descriptions and job postings; tracks the approval process of newly created positions, position management, time and attendance tracking and documentation, including, timesheets, eforms, etc.; processes salary adjustments and increases in a timely manner.
- Conducts new employee orientations.
- Prepares and processes documentation of medical and other requests for leaves of absence such as, but not limited to, FMLA,, vacations, sick time, worker's compensation, retirement, health benefits, tracking of accrued leave benefits and leave buy-back programs.
- Serves as the Department Liaison with Civil Service, ensures department compliance with Civil Service hires. - Researches and represents the department at unemployment and related hearings. - Processes seasonal/temporary hiring of employees and interns; interviews applicants and assists them in completing the necessary paperwork, etc. - Prepares a variety of statistics and reports pertaining to human resources activities. - May supervise employees.
- Performs related work as required.
Required to work any emergency as directed by the Commissioners or Chief.
- At least four (4) years of managerial experience in the Human Resources area. A bachelor's degree in government management or related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on details as required by the job.
- Ability to set and manage priorities in a changing work environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic work environment.
- Must have familiarity with Administration/HR/Labor Relations policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of budget preparations and procedures, BAIS HRMS, MicrosoftWord, Excel and Access strongly preferred.
- Proven organizational skills, as well as strong oral and written communication skills are required.
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: SENA/MM1-8
Hours: 35 per week