This is a provisional appointment.
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
The Department of Innovation and Technology is looking for a creative, yet practical web developer to lead development efforts for the City of Boston’s website (http://www.boston.gov/). This developer will leverage knowledge of front-end and back-end technology to implement user-centric digital services for the people of Boston and for the employees of the City. The position supports the City as we seek to modernize our web technology stack and relaunch the City's web presence.
- Work with various departments to develop new web-based digital services for external users and to support the operation of City government.
- Support the existing City of Boston website content team, including the current CMS (Drupal).
- Support, enhance, and troubleshoot existing City of Boston web applications.
- Oversee technical implementation of future changes to City's website and technology platform.
- Optimize database, server and client performance to create web applications with both functional and responsive user experiences.
- Implement application code, API's and web or mobile clients based on wireframes and design.
- Provide technical leadership to drive adoption of modern web technologies.
- Perform related work as required.
- Four (4) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience as a web application developer. A Bachelor's degree in a related field can be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience. A Master's degree can be substituted for three (3) years of the required experience.
- Strong knowledge of Drupal
- SQL experience sufficient to develop and support applications with a database back-end.
- A user-centric philosophy of application development, with a strong desire to understand underlying user needs and the ability to effectively serve them with well-designed technology.
- Experience transitioning systems built on legacy technologies to more modern platforms.
- Working knowledge of classic ASP and VBScript legacy technologies.
- Comfortable troubleshooting small to medium sized applications written in legacy technologies (Classic ASP).
- Efficient approach to development projects, with an orientation towards more nimble development methodologies.
- Must have the ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: SENA/MM1-10
Hours per week: 35