This is a provisional appointment.
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job);
Under the general direction of the Boston Fire Department’s (BFD) Chief of Operations for Support Services and reporting to the head of the Fire Department’s Information Technology Division, the Telestaff Systems Administrator works on projects related to the Department’s Kronos and Telestaff software. The purpose of this position is to work closely with the members of the Personnel Division and the Command Staff of the Department to develop and document business processes and system requirements, then configure and test systems to ensure the system meets the requirements and enables the business process. The role also includes developing and delivering training materials and providing ongoing support to the business users. Additionally, the administrator will develop appropriate management reporting and audit reporting to monitor the effectiveness of the system and the accuracy of the data quality across business units. This position will work closely with the Assignment Office, Human Resources, Payroll, BFD leadership, and DoIT to ensure the system is meeting operational and management needs.
● Gains proficiency as content expert to configure, maintain, and support the Kronos/Telestaff system.
● Acquires and maintains strong working knowledge of BFD tour reporting rules, work rules, and personnel/assignment policies and procedures.
● Supports Kronos/telestaff system on daily basis, including coordinating system updates and maintenance with BFD MIS as well as regular operational tasks such as updating the system with monthly transfers, ad hoc and regular reporting, updates to personnel, updates to system configuration.
● Maintains the scheduling and tracking of assignments for personnel, including but not limited to time and attendance and leave assignments for uniformed personnel.
● Trains BFD staff at various fire stations on software such as Kronos/Telestaff system on an as needed basis.
● Evaluates business processes, and design solutions that may include application modifications and enhancements as necessary.
● Creates design documents for modifications.
● Writes functional specifications for the system.
● Works closely with application developers, vendor(s), and others to troubleshoot and resolve functional application problems.
● Prepares audits and reports as required.
● Assists in the development and delivery of end-user training.
● Provides oral and written reports and presentations clearly, concisely and effectively.
● Works closely with Department’s Assignment Office, Human Resources, Payroll, BFD leadership, and DoIT to ensure system is meeting operational and management needs.
● Performs data research and analysis.
● Performs other informational systems projects as required.
● Performs related work as required.
● At least three (3) years full-time, or equivalent part-time, paid professional experience in work in which the major duties included information systems analysis and project management.
● Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems or related field is required and may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
● Demonstrated ability in system administration with knowledge of operating system(s) and administration rights.
● Demonstrated ability to understand business processes and possess the technical skills to translate those processes into the necessary system configurations.
● Knowledge of database concepts and how applications tie into the databases.
● Knowledge of the technical relations of a variety of database products.
● Familiarity with various software products, such as issue tracking tools, query writing tools, process mapping tools, Microsoft word, Excel and Microsoft Access, and Google Apps highly desirable.
● Prior experience with Kronos and/or Telestaff applications strongly preferred.
● Experience working in a large municipality with an understanding of City structure, collective bargaining units and employee policies is highly desirable.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment; ability to work independently with limited direct oversight.
● Strong presentation and communications skills to express ideas clearly in written and oral communication.
● Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
● Must have and maintain a valid Massachusetts driver’s license in support of position’s responsibilities.
Pre-Employment Drug Test Required.
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: SENA/MM1-8
Hours per week: 35