General Duties/Class Specifications:
Under immediate supervision, performs custodial work in connection with the cleaning and maintenance of a library building and performs related duties as required.
1. Sweeping, washing, polishing and vacuuming floors (concrete, asphalt tile, linoleum, vinyl tile, cork, terrazzo, marble, wooden tile, carpet) including the use of detergents, sawdust, mops, pails, and brooms, and the use and care of cleaning equipment (vacuum cleaners, waxing and polishing machines and carpet cleaners).
2. Caring for light fixtures, shades, reflectors, lenses, prismatic glass and other building furnishings and equipment.
3. Cleaning, packing and moving books.
4. Moving furniture and equipment.
5. Maintaining grounds adjacent to the building, such as; the cutting of grass, the planting of grass and flower seeds, the trimming of shrubbery (using and caring for power lawn mowers, hand mowers, and garden tools), the shoveling of snow and the keeping of walks and steps clear of ice during the winter, and the sweeping of walks and the keeping of grounds free of debris.
6. Collecting paper, newspapers and other materials for recycling.
7. Washing windows, woodwork, toilets, lavatories, washrooms and fixtures.
8. Dusting and polishing furniture
9. Emptying and cleaning waste, trash and garbage receptacles.
10. Replacing light bulbs.
11. Operating and caring for various kinds of fire extinguishers and having knowledge of fire accident prevention in library buildings.
12. Receiving and storing items used in building maintenance work.
13. Having knowledge of the proper display of the flag of the United States.
14. Performs related duties as required.
Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility and to carry out assignments independently. Demonstrated ability to work well with others; superior work habits and organization ability, dependability, good judgment, tact, courtesy.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: AFSCME/M-4
Hours per week: 40