Under the supervision of the Online and Web Services Manager, and within the framework of goals, policies and procedures of the Library, assists in maintaining and supporting public services delivered through the Metro Boston Library Network and the Boston Public Library’s websites, with a special focus on information organization and usability. This position is part of the Communications Division.
Reports to the Online and Web Services Manager
Scope of Responsibility
1. Coordinates and organizes content and services as part of the Boston Public Library’s online presence.
2. Assists in the development and design of all library-hosted web sites and other online properties. Plays an active leadership role in assessing and improving web site usability, organization, accessibility, accuracy, and currency.
3. Works as part of a team to document policies and procedures related to online content creation and design. Creates and maintains technical and project management documentation.
4. Collaborates extensively with library stakeholders to ensure that the content and services delivered to the public via the web and online services reflect and match the breadth of services, collections, exhibits, and events available at all locations of the BPL. Manages projects and leads project teams as needed to complete web service initiatives.
5. In coordination with Communications staff, assists in the planning and execution of the editorial calendar of featured content on the library’s main web presence. Provides guidance and support for creators of featured content.
6. Works with relevant library staff to ensure that the library’s brand identity is handled consistently across library websites and online presences. Collaborates on implementation and oversight of new communications tools identified and deployed through online services.
7. Maintains current knowledge of best practices, standards, and technologies related to providing library services online. Applies applicable knowledge to existing and new services offered by the library.
8. Assists in the evaluation and implementation of new technologies and upgrades. Communicates updates on these activities to all key stakeholders as appropriate.
9. Works closely with vendors, partner institutions, staff, and the public to implement, modify, and maintain services in anticipation of changing needs.
10. Trains staff on web applications and services deployed by the web services department.
11. Conducts usability studies and evaluates site analytics to determine if web services and applications are meeting the needs of our user groups.
12. Represents the library at city, state, or national meetings and conferences as assigned.
13. Performs related duties and functions as assigned
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: PSA/P-3
Hours per week: 35